It took me about 2 1/2 cans of Tamiya grey primer to cover all the parts I intend to paint on the HGUC Messala. As you can see above I’ve already done a first coat paint on all the parts. The pictures that you see are done with my iPhone using cam apps, since I find it easier and more practical than lugging my DSLR out.
One thing that I will have to do on this model is some masking to spray paint a few parts, specifically the yellow markings on the kit. I’ve seen some reviews online and YouTube where the yellow stickers, especially the one on the head, look bad. I’ve had a few bad experiences before with some stickers, so this is a must for me.
I’ll also do some masking on the six small thrusters which are supposed to be dark blue/purple outside and red inside (like you see on the box, posters and anime).
Normally the last thing I would do is top coat everything AFTER placing decals on the kit. Because of the transformation, I’m a little concerned that paint on certain pieces may scratch off. So what I’m going to do is top coat every piece of the kit (some added protection), put it together, place the decals on the kit and then put another coat of top coat.
I also finished watching Zeta Gundam. Great show and may put up a review on it. Oh yeah, definitely getting Scirocco’s ‘The O” either in MG or HGUC form.